Monday, January 14, 2013

Making Oatmeal Fun and Yummy!!

So, after a few long months of preparing for baby, she is finally here! I've done a lot of reading recently on breastfeeding and post-partum nutrition, and it has inspired me to get the word out (well at least to share some of the things I’ve learned and recipes to go with them)! I've decided to do a series of posts revolving around this idea, starting with this one, the importance of oats! Now that I'm nursing, I've discovered rather quickly how important oats are to a mother's daily diet. Not only is it a good source of fiber and a heart healthy meal, but oats help build a good milk supply as well. The problem is, a mama can only take so much plain oatmeal in the morning! I've tried to find ways to increase my oat intake daily, and this has resulted in some pretty intense Google searches. According to Kelly Bonyata, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, “oats may support lactation because they are rich in iron, are comforting, and share properties with some other common galactogogues” (livestrong.com). This led me to thinking of ways to jazz up oats to taste good while still supporting my body and that of my newborns. Below are some of my favorite recipes that I’ve found as well as websites for more information and recipes to check out! Oatmeal *Start with your favorite cut oats and try adding: • Peanut butter and your favorite jelly • Peanut butter and chocolate chips • Bananas, coconut, sliced almonds, vanilla extract • Apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar • Diced strawberries and peaches and cream / milk • Raspberry preserves and cream cheese Cookies *I start with this recipe and then change the add-ins depending on my mood. You can include: • Dried cranberries and white chocolate chips • Chocolate chips and almonds • Raisins • Orange zest • Butterscotch chips • Cinnamon chips Other ways to get oats: • Homemade granola / granola bars • No bake cookies • Muffins / breads Read more:
• http://www.livestrong.com/article/165671-foods-that-increase-milk-supply-when-breastfeeding/#ixzz2HxjcjT6g • http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/breakfast/easy-oatmeal-recipes/ • http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_oats_recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment