Thursday, September 20, 2012

Flavors of Fall

With the chill in the air and the leaves turning colors, it can only mean one thing. Fall is finally here! Fall is probably my favorite time of year; there are so many good things! The sweatshirts get pulled back out, the smell of falling leaves, the apple cider…it all brings a smile to my face. Not to mention two of my favorite flavors are perfect for fall: apples and pumpkins! Knowing this is the best season to start my baking frenzy before the holidays; my pregnancy has also reminded me of the importance of incorporating fiber (and large amounts of it) into my diet. I thought I was doing a great job at it, we eat whole wheat or grain bread, I eat lots of leafy, green veggies, and lots of fiber rich fruit. All the pasta in the house is whole wheat, and what’s better on a chilly morning than a big bowl of oatmeal? Well, thank you pregnancy symptoms for reminding me that more is better. So now, I’m faced with the dilemma of getting even more fiber into my diet, which means tricking the entire family into eating more fiber rich foods. So, I did some searching and found some perfect ways to combine fiber rich foods with my favorite fall flavors. Thanks to quaker.com, and some interesting pinterest ideas, I’ve listed a couple great recipes for you to try too! Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins (from Quaker) 1 ½ cups flour 1 cup uncooked oats ¾ cup brown sugar ½ cup chopped nuts (I like to use pecans) 1 Tbsp. baking powder 1 ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice ½ tsp. baking soda ½ tsp. salt 1 cup pumpkin puree ¾ cup milk 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1 egg, lightly beaten Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, pumpkin, and oil. Mix together with the dry ingredients. Bake 22-25 minutes or until golden brown. Apple Pie Oatmeal Oatmeal Water 1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tbsp. Brown sugar ½ tsp. nutmeg apples, diced chopped nuts Mix oatmeal and water according to serving size directions. Add spices and apples. Cook for about 10 minutes over med-low heat or until oats and apples are soft. Top with nuts, serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment