Friday, August 10, 2012

Quick Skin Fix for Dry Skin Momma's

Being 19 weeks pregnant, I’ve already started to feel the aches and pains of pregnancy. I had something similar to restless leg syndrome before I was pregnant and now it is horrible and ends in a lot of sleepless nights already. It makes my hips ache, my knees hurt, and my feet swell. There isn’t a whole lot that I can do for it but stretch and warm baths. Unfortunately bath water tends to dry my skin out, so I thought I was fighting a losing battle. Then I thought, what if I found some sort of bath syrup or salt that could not only make the water smell good, but also help to revitalize my skin? I did a quick internet search, and found some pretty elaborate recipes for homemade bath additives that would cost a lot of money and take forever to make, if I could find all the ingredients. I was getting frustrated, and almost gave up. Then I found the recipe for a simple and easy to make bath syrup on ehow.com. It only had three ingredients, and two of them I had in my pantry (honey and pure vanilla extract). The third ingredient (Jojoba oil), I was missing. So I thought real hard, searched my kitchen and medicine cabinet and found sweet oil. Sweet oil is an extract from olives that is used to relieve rough, dry skin, by rubbing it on the spot in question. I thought, well since dry skin is my concern, I would try it instead of the jojoba oil and see how it went. I only made enough of the syrup to last two baths, thinking I wanted to try it before I actually made a lot of it. I mixed in a bowl about ½ a cup of honey, a teaspoon of sweet oil and a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, mixed it well and poured ½ of the syrup under the running warm water filling up the bath tub. The smell was distinct, it smelled good, but you could smell all the separate ingredients as the sweet oil smells more of olives that the sweet smell of vanilla and honey, but once it was dissolved in the water, it smelled great. The results were amazing. My aches disappeared quickly and you could feel the honey and sweet oil cleansing and moisturizing the skin. When I got out of the bath tub, my skin felt baby smooth. I was completely ache and pain free and rejuvenated. I slept through the night too! This is definitely a DIY project that I would do again and again, so I wanted to share it too, because every mom to be deserves to feel great and rejuvenated!

No comments:

Post a Comment